We invite you to attend a 100 Year Anniversary Commemoration of the 1918 Greek Canadian Riots at Toronto City Hall on Thursday August 2nd, 2018 at noon.
This event is part of a year-long campaign launched by the Hellenic Heritage Foundation in collaboration with York University to educate the public about this long-forgotten chapter in our city’s history. It is also an opportunity to bring this story to all Torontonians so that we can recognize the struggles and successes of Greek-Canadians in Toronto over the last 100 years.
The initiatives organized throughout the year by the Foundation and leading up to this event were as follows:
• TDSB curriculum packages created in connection to Greek History Month in March
• A public lecture by Prof Thomas Gallant on 1918 Anti-Greek Riots on May 3rd
• A public Film Screening of Violent August with commentary from the filmmaker John Burry and historian Michalis Mouratidis on May 27th
• Guided Historic Walking Tours organized along the route the riots took place were planned and organized for:
– Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.
– Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.
– Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.
– Sunday, August 5th, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.
Please consider joining us next Thursday. Bring your friends and family. The event will begin at 12:00 p.m and go until about 1:30 p.m.
We have also taken the time to curate a Photo Exhibit which will be on display in the Rotunda at City Hall from July 30th to August 5th titled: Greeks in Toronto – The Immigrant Experience, which guests can view following the official commemoration event.
REGISTER in advance to let us know you’re attending by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please feel free to forward this invitation to your families, and network of friends and colleagues so we can ensure our community has strong representation at City Hall to properly acknowledge this historic event.
Given the tragic events that took place this past week, now more than ever, our community needs to be well represented and united in solidarity.
Thank you for your anticipated attendance next Thursday, Aug 2nd at noon.
The Hellenic Heritage Foundation